Keys for the Digital Nomad Visa application

The new Startups Law in Spain has established a new kind of residency permit for digital nomads, those professionals that come from countries outside the European Union to work remotely from Spain: the Digital Nomad Visa

This visa allows these international remote workers to settle in their favorite destination within the country and carry out their professional activities remotely, for up to five years.

If you are a digital nomad currently working from Spain you might be thinking about getting your Digital Nomad Visa, and our partners from Entre Trámites shared with us the keys you need to get started with your application.

Applicant options

There are two types of profiles from which you can apply for your Digital Nomad Visa:

Employed workers

Professionals who work for a company abroad who are authorized to carry out their work remotely from Spain. 

The requirements you need to demonstrate in order to apply as an employed worker include:

  • Complete application form and payment of the fee 790 038 for €73,26.
  • At least one year of business activity abroad. 
  • Proof of employment relationship for at least 3 months.
  • Employment contract for one year. 
  • Certificate attesting that you can work remotely from Spain.
  • Proof of professional competence. 
  • Criminal record certificate.
  • Agreement with Social Security or registration in Spain . 
  • Sufficient maintenance resources, for you and your family (in case you are going to live in Spain with your family ). 
  • Medical insurance. 
  • No to be irregularly in Spain.

Self-employed workers

This profile is for those professionals who provide their services to clients from all over the world

The requirements for self-employed workers include:

  • Complete application form and payment of the fee 790 038 for €73,26.
  • The income you receive in Spain or by Spanish companies must not represent more than 20% of your whole monthly income. 
  • Maintain an independent professional relationship with clients for at least 3 months. 
  • Proof of professional relationship with clients abroad. 
  • Proof of professional competence. 
  • Criminal record certificate. 
  • Register as a self-employed worker with the Special Regime of Self-Employed Workers (RETA) once the residence approval is obtained. 
  • Sufficient maintenance resources, for you and your family (in case you are going to live in Spain with your family ). 
  • Medical insurance. 
  • Not to be irregularly in Spain.

Application options

As a digital nomad, you can apply for your Spanish Digital Nomad Visa from outside the country or once you’re already in Spain. Either way, the resolution for your residence permit approval will take around 20 days.

Outside Spain

If you file your application before moving to Spain you need to do it in the Spanish consulate in your country and the residency permit you will get will be valid for a year.

Inside Spain

If you decide to apply once you are in Spain, you must do it in the Large Business & Strategic Sector Unit (UGE-CE), and your residency permit will be valid for three years.

Social Security process

If you are a self-employed worker, you need to register in Social Security after getting your Digital Nomad Visa approval, but if you are an employed worker you need to complete this process before applying for the visa

In this case, there are two options to do it, depending on the country you are applying from. There is a bilateral agreement between Social Security and the following countries:

  • Andorra
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • Cape Verde
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Colombia
  • South Korea
  • Ecuador
  • United States
  • Philippines
  • Japan
  • Morocco
  • Mexico
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Dominican Republic
  • Russia
  • Senegal
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine 
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela

If your country has an agreement with Social Security, the process you need to follow is:

  1. Fill out the form TA.300.
  2. Complete the corresponding form according to your country and include your information and the information of your company. 
  3. Get your digital certificate as a worker. 
  4. Fill out the online application form.

The process for employed workers whose country does not have an agreement with Social Security is:

  1. Request the Foreign Identity Number (NIE) for the worker and the legal representative of the company abroad. 
  2. Present your company’s documentation, including its commercial registry (apostilled and translated to Spanish if needed).
  3. Get a power of attorney for  the worker in Spain. 
  4. Get your digital certificate as a worker.  
  5. Fill out the NIF application for the company in Spain. 
  6. Fill out the online application for the company registration with Social Security. 

If you are looking to apply for your Digital Nomad Visa but you still have questions, let the experts from Entre Trámites help you out!

Remember that if you are a member of Aticco’s community you can get a free consultation session with their Digital Nomad Visa specialist to talk about your specific case. Contact Marina at servicios@aticco.com for more information!

Apply for a room

Personal information
Expected entry date*
How long do you plan to rent your room?*
What is your approximate budget? (€/month)*
What is your profession?
Name of your company?*
What do you think you can contribute to our community?*

¡Contacta ahora! 

Solicita tu habitación

Información personal
Fecha de entrada prevista*
¿Cual és tu profesión?
¿Cúanto tiempo tienes pensado alquiler tu habitación?*
¿Nombre de tu empresa?*
¿Cuál es tu presupuesto mensual aproximado?*
¿Qué crees que puedes aportar a nuestra comunidad?*
Acepto la política de privacidad*